Tuesday, February 7, 2012

ATX forever


Back to Austin for about the 20th time at least since we moved over a year ago. As we wind our way around 71, I get that same old longing deep in the pit of my stomach-a longing for home: the cedar smell, the brown slowly turning to green, the limestone appearing. Then we hit Lakeway and it all comes back to me: the views, the beauty, the food, the folks, the fun, our life. I have to remind myself that my life is "hidden with Christ in God" and not in Austin, Tx. It is hard. I love this place so much-it is so much a part of me and me of it. It resonates with me in so so many ways unlike any other place I have lived. We enter Steiner and it always gets quiet. Home, but not home anymore. Part of my heart is still here but not as much. So many memories leap out at me from behind trees, cul-de-sacs, bends in the road, houses of people we know, trails we walked, places we biked and swam and had coffee and wine and ice cream. Memories of our sweet life here-thank you, God-our life of growing up and innocence, like Christina said-before all of "it" happened. I drive around town like I still own it-know all the back roads by heart-take my friend down my favorite street, Rosedale, where all the storybook houses are-where I lived so much of my life for so many years-yeah, I know this place: Pacha, Austin School of Classical Ballet, Feats of Clay, Phoenician Bakery, Half Price, Upper Crust. Upper Crust. I walk in, smell the coffee/bread/cinnamon combination and my eyes flood with tears. Will I always long for this? SO many memories: laughing with my girls-making people stare at us, devouring cupcakes before ballet, spring rolls with my sis and my niece and nephews, meeting friends over coffee, people watching, tortilla and lentil soup with Rachel before ballet, doing school with both girls. A homeless man with huge plastic sacks of cans rides up on his bike: yes! Typical Austin-I love and miss my homeless friends so much. Knew so many of them by name. On to Central Market-I walk into the produce section and want to just do a happy dance all over the place: so many varieties of fruits and vegetables. My peeps-healthy, hippy, Austinites all over the place. I smell the apples-used to smell them all-every species. I hand pick my strawberries and text Rachel that I am in this place we know and love so well. She texts me back to shut up because she craves it! Down the bulk isles-remembering how I used to love choosing treats to take home to the fam on a Friday night-I would drop Rachel at ballet, go to CM and pick up yummy dinner and treats and go home for family movie night. One of the best memories in my head. The last time we passed our house, Rachel said "mom, I would just give anything to go in there and watch a movie all together like we used to on Friday nights." Me, too. I drive down the drag-look at all the funkyness and realize why I feel so out of place where I am. I am funky. I am weird. I love uniqueness and strangeness and distinctiveness and my lovely city has all that. I remember the Continental with Cindy, playing ping pong and laughing so hard-and the Snack Bar and Matt's (membah?). Ate at Torchy's Tacos this time-a new place. Items on the menu like fried avocado tacos, Trashy Trailor and Nookies-creative. I love that. Driving out of town, on our way home. We stop to drive around the lake-by our favorite 2 mil. dollar houses-the lake has all but disappeared and I stand and stare. So many memories there,too. Our boat, Oasis, drives around the lake-Christina and I with the windows down, hands out, bellowing out praise music-watching the sunset. I think Rachel was away at camp for the first time and we were lonely. We take a few pics for posterity then head off over Mansfield Dam. I said "Christina, I have 2 memories of that dam and I bet you have the same 2". Yep, she did. Back through Lakeway and onto 71 again. We are quiet. My heart is heavy. Christina falls asleep and I try to blink back the tears at leaving.

No comments: