Monday, October 13, 2008

Beauty from Ashes

Isaiah 61:3 says that God will comfort those who mourn, that He will "give them a garland instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the mantle of praise instead of a spirit of faiting so they will be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified." I want to be an oak of righteousness but first come the ashes. I experienced this verse first hand as my daughters and I went to minister at an Alzheimer's center this past week. God blew away the ashes and mourning of my mom's diagnosis with Alzheimer's and of my Aunt's recent death (she had Alzheimers) and allowed me to see His beautiful garland through the ministering hands of my daughters. As they played the piano and rubbed lotion on these precious people's hands, my heart melted-my soul was beautified and the oil of gladness flowed in my heart. To hear my girls speak words of comfort and gentleness to these often forgotten people and to rub their hands with tenderness and sing along to "Jesus Loves Me" ministered to my broken heart better than anything else. And God gave me a vision-to work with people with Alzheimers-to care for them, love them, bring some small joy and light into their lives-however transient. This is the planting of the Lord and I know He will bring it to pass. I feel a joy instead of helplessness. I feel I have come home.

No comments: