Saturday, December 13, 2008

My Alzheimers friends

We spent another day at the Alzheimer's center yesterday. We sang carols, played Christmas songs, passed out cookies and just visited. I believe it will be the most memorable and important event of our Christmas season this year. I highly recommend it. The Franklin and Wohl kids were at the piano and 2 precious ladies came up and stood there almost the whole time, singing with the music. One had no front teeth. Her name was Nancy Ruth, I believe, and she was just precious. She said "I wish you could always be here" or something to that effect. I told her we would be coming back and she quickly said "when?" I told her after the new year. She said "we might not be here then." I could not argue that. One sweet man must have eaten at least 5-6 cookies. One lady kept staring at me with a confused look on her face. I think I reminded her of someone. She talked with me and the only words I could make sense out of at all were "we will go have a coke"-I told her that sounded nice. I said "God bless you" on the way out and gave her a hug and she said "Oh, yes, Lord." Maybe she is a believer. That is these folks only hope at this point. I love them all. They are delightful and have no idea how much joy they bring into my life just by being who they are. May we have many more times together.

No comments: