Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Hope, God's presence, God's nearness, God's goodness

"And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance' and perseverance, proven character' and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us."
 

This is where I am hanging my hat today, God.  On your word of truth-on hope in You alone.  I have put my hope in so many other things lately-mom getting better, Christina's situation getting better, our church family, life calming down, feeling joyful again, friendships, ministry, everything but You, God.  I think when we define better, good, well, etc....we have such a different image and such different goals than You.  Your goal is the glory of Your name and our holiness which ultimately brings glory to Your name.  Our goal, oftentimes, is comfort, relief, release, change in circumstances, favorable outcomes for us.  What is more favorable than the deep intimacy of Your presence that can only be had through pain?  What is more glorious than character that has been tried, refined, and proven?  Hoping correctly does NOT disappoint.  Our only hope is You.  "For I put my hope in Your unfailing love."  That is all we have.  "And now, Lord, for what do I wait?  My hope is in Thee."  "Why are you in despair, O my soul?  And why are you disturbed within me?  Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him, the help of my countenance, and my God."   If our hope is in You, God, there is no despair.  "But as for me, I will hope continually, and will praise Thee yet more and more."  MORE AND MORE.  That is what I want.  That is what hope produces.  The more life presses you down, the more people disappoint you, the more injustice done-more and more praise to You, God.  You never change-You just ARE-perfect and good and holy and full of hope and grace.  There is so much beauty in that. "But as for me the nearness of God is my good."  Your nearness God-that is what is true goodness-not life going my way or people who love me, not to be fully understood or for justice to happen but YOU.  You are good alone-I just need to fix my eyes on You.  "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."  Those "things" are nothing in this world-it is You, God-our hope is in You. We have assurance of You alone, and Your unfailing love and unchanging character and gracious salvation.  That is our hope. And it anchors our soul.  I am ready for storms to come and for Satan's worst-every time I think it cannot possibly get worse, it does, and it does and it does.  But my hope is in God alone-He is best every single day and as I get nearer and nearer, the hope of His presence is better and better.

No comments: